Monday, May 19, 2008

Corporealy Deficient

Managing information in the digital and physical world. Is my relationship with technology making me less capable of functioning without it?

I spent this weekend away from my wired world. For the most part it was blissful. Between hobbies and a home remodeling project, I have plenty to keep me busy when away from the systems I tinker with throughout the week. I made an observation of myself, though, that has me a little disturbed. In the wired world I've become efficient, indexed, and easily referenced through the various tools I utilize- mostly thanks to search capabilities, religious tagging, and extensive documentation. But standing in the center of my bedroom this weekend- the only clean spot of floor in the entire room- I realized my physical world was in shambles. I couldn't even find a notebook on which to make a shopping list or prioritize my tasks. Have I swung too far into digital dependence? Am I letting myself get wrapped up in my information cocoon?

I have several users who are technologically deficient. They're extremely bright, educated, creative, and capable. Put them in front of a computer and you have a mess. Their document is lost as soon as they click Close. The internet might as well be as consumer-only as television. Business cards are wonderful for keeping track of and sharing contacts. Calendar events are written in pencil unless the importance of ink is applied. It's not a problem (for them), it's just another way of working. They're on top of their job and their means to do it without the aid of technology. The ability to quickly and easily share and distribute information is the only shortcoming of this sort of work and lifestyle.

But what about being so technologically dialed in that we forget to function in the corporeal world? Or worse how to? My desk is a cluttered mess. Papers, notes, business cards, manuals, all sorts of things I never reference. I avoid paper like the plague- I grimace every time someone hands me hand-written notes or document edits. E-mail the a note (or better chat). Use change tracking and notes in your word processor or use something version controlled. If it comes to me in physical form, don't expect to see it ever again (and expect the "turnaround time" to quadruple). Fortunately it's my job to motivate this type of attitude toward inefficient means of communication and collaboration at the office.
Unfortunately this manner of operating is having a more wide spread impact on me. I have a set of tools at the office- an online work suite, desktop applications, etc.- a set of quickly accessed utilities I keep on a shortcut bar for instant access. I have a set of tools at my home remodel project site as well- screwdrivers, hammer, blades, pliers, measuring instruments- and places to store them- a tool bench and a tool belt.
I don't think about setting down an information tool- I close a program or a window without giving it much thought (sometimes it even happens accidentally when I'm really not paying attention). No problem- websites are easy to find, folders are always in their tree on the server, documents can be found in the "Recent Documents" lists.
And now I've stopped thinking about my offline tools. I set down my screwdriver when I'm finished with it. Ten minutes later I'm hunting for it. Of course it didn't make its way back to the tool belt where I originally retrieved it. Where is my wiring diagram? I didn't put it somewhere easily accessible. What was the purpose of this circuit? I forgot to label it.

I guess it's just an observation of habit. I can teach myself how to be more organized in the physical world again (the tool belt used to be my arm's muscle-memory for putting down a tool) just as I've taught myself to be organized in the information world. But all weekend I found myself frustrated by missing tools, forgotten items, and disappointments in my organization. It's a new perspective for me- if working in the corporeal world can be this frustrating for me, working in the technological world I'm creating for my users can be this frustrating for them. It's two different worlds with completely different methods and resources for achieving things.

I guess this is why mind hacks have become so important to those of us trying to balance our functionality in both worlds.

No comments: